Thursday, June 14, 2007

Cho La Pass - I Made It

It is good to be back in Kuala Lumpur !!!

Yes, I have withstood the cold, high altitude, thin air and tough environment for almost two weeks on the trek. After the strenuous trekking trip in Nepal, to my big surprise, I actually lost four kilograms in weight!

Most of the time, we were trekking at altitude between 3,000 meters to 5,400 meters (at Cho La Pass). Any ordinary mountain there is more formidable than our Mount Kinabalu, which stands at 4,100 meters above sea level.

Photo is taken at the peak of Cho La Pass


Everyday, we have to walk for a minimum of four hours; at time, we stretched to 7 hours. Usually, we start the walk at around 7am (local time in Kuala Lumpur is 9:15 a.m.) For certain important days, we started as early as 5 a.m. Yes, the sky is bright at 5 a.m. there.

The most difficult and crucial day was when we crossed Cho La Pass. We started at 5 a.m. and end the trek at 5 p.m. – a 12-hour walk.

When on an uphill climb, every few steps required heavy breathing due to thin air. For a little fast pace, I could be standing there breathing heavily for the body system to generate the equivalent amount of oxygen. Nevertheless, with all the hard training in running and trekking, my body system was able to cope with the new parameters fairly well. Oh Yes! I was glad that I did not have headache – the sign and symptom of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness or high altitude sickness).

After trekking for nine days, one of the lady trekkers, however, developed high altitude sickness on the eve before we crossed Cho La Pass. Half the team (including the second guide, a porter) started to walk down at 4:15 p.m. in the cold, cloudy and misty environment to a lower altitude.

Though the trekking trip is tough, it is worth every effort and Ringgit to be there for a different kind of experience. The view was scenic, beautiful, spectacular and magnificent – surrounded by all the high mountains and ice-caped peaks. Being there in the high mountains was exhilarating, rewarding and satisfying.
Yours truly is standing at the peak of Cho La Pass covered in ice.

When we returned to Lukla, the starting point of the trek and a small village accessible by only small aeroplanes, we were stuck there for two days due to bad weather amid the start of monsoon seasons.

One funny experience: my brain does not seem to compute fast at high altitude. The thin air and high altitude probably did something to the brain cells. Possibly, my brain cells have got use to the local environment and they work best in polluted city. So, with the pure mountain air, the brain was a bit disorientated.

With slight tan, slim figure and sunken cheek, a runner said that I look like elite runner now. I think I am now qualified to stand in the front row rubbing shoulders with Kenyan runners in a running race. Yeah, I was told that many ladies would like to go to Cho La Pass too since there is a sure-fire way of losing weight amid admiring the high mountains and ice-caped peaks.

Wish you were there with me. Possibly, we could have a friendly run on a high, flat plateau of 4,800 meters above sea level.

Cheers!
KC :-)

Below are a few photos showing you Cho La Pass.

Next few days: I will share with you photos showing the journey.


At Lukla on 24 May 2007 -- the start of the great trekking trip. The guy behind me is Pani, the porter. He is of almost same height and weight as me. But he could carry heavy loads.





At Namche Bazaar -- this is an important "town" where most treks pass by here. It took us two days to reach there. There are many shops selling trekking and climbing related stuff. Internet and Maxis connection were possible.

Yes, there is the Everest Marathon running from Everest Base Camp to Namche Bazaar. Date of event was on 29 May 2007. Any takers for next year?

The team members are heaving tea at the Everest View Hotel (Day 4 of the itenary) while admiring the Mount Everest at the background. On the left is Mr. Klaus, an Austrian. He is my room-mate. He is a friendly and humourous guy that initiated much of the laughter. He is a senior officer in the Austrian army.

Part of the great journey ... the gentle wind blows; the warmth of sunlight; the roar of flowing water; the scent from the wild flowers along the trek.

Fast forward to Cho La Pass: All rocks here. The rest of the photos will be included in the online photo album.

This is a very steep pass (though from the photo, it does not look steep). Condition is made difficult with the present of ice and flowing water on the ground. Certain part is icy and treacherously slippery. We must not step on to them and slip down the slop, that would be fatal.

Looking backward and downward. Another team member was behind me (bottom right). It took me 5.5 hours to reach the peak starting the trek at 5 a.m. (day-11 from Tagnag to Cho La Pass of the itenary).

Yeah, I finally reached the peak of Cho La Pass. I was so excited to reach thus far. It was covered with ice!!! There is a pond behind me where the ice was not fully formed yet. The photo was taken by the second porter, Mr. Rai, a Nepali.

Yes, I was actually walking on ice... the main mountain guide (Mr. Rum) is taking a photo for another team member.

We were told to be cautious in order not to drop into the water. There is water flowing beneath the ice. The ice is spiky shape. When I step on them, they crushed with loud sound under the trekking shoes.

The descent: My backpack (in red) and our stuff (in two green duffel bags tied together; provided by the trekking agent) carried by the porter.

... to be continued.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks totally awesome. I am heading to Nepal in October for some trekking - any tips. I live in KL - any good shops here to buy trekking stuff or best to wait for Kathmandu & Namche? Need warm jacket and sleeping bag... my email is m.wappler@yahoo.co.uk