Sunday, July 29, 2007

Just Do It - SIM 2007

By MMR

My fingers trembled and my heart beat very fast. I missed a few beats when I finally pressed the final “Enter” button to register for Singapore International Marathon 2007. My fingers were trembling not because of steep payment but the thought of my maiden attempt in running a full marathon. To calm myself down, I went for a run in the evening.


It is a commitment which I hope I will succeed in achieving after many, many months of thinking and rethinking and reading all the possible books I can read (without actually training for the full marathon).

So far, I have a done a few half marathons. It may sound far fetched to upgrade to a full marathon so soon. But too much analysis will lead to paralysis. Nike’s advertising slogan “Just Do It” has helped to galvanise my action.

I have downloaded the training plan from Runner's World. They have a very comprehensive plan that can be customised to a runner’s needs - just go the run trainer of something like that and key in one’s recent time (I keyed in my timing for last year’s SIM half marathon) and also the intensity (light/moderate/intense) and how much is current mileage.


The plan requires me to run three times a week (some cross-training in between if required) with long run on Saturday, tempo/quick runs for a weekday and also recovery run. I have always only been able to train three days a wee, and I did my best time three years ago (around 2:09 for half marathon) with the exact same regime (scaled down for half). I intend to train for a 4th day short run if possible and whenever I can.

I have decided to run the full marathon for a cause or a charity (I have yet to decide on the cause or charity) and will ask a few good friends if they will sponsor RM1 or more for each kilometer that I run!

First Long Run – The programme only said about 13 km at a slightly slower pace. My shoe pod was quite good in estimating my pace so I actually have to slow down on some occasions as I was running a little too fast. That must be the excitement of taking the first steps towards the marathon training. I finished the run with a smile and feeling happy. I think I can make it. But this is just the beginning, many more weeks to come along and lots more mileage to build up. I just hope that there will be no injuries or set back in my training programme.

By MMR (a Maiden Marathon Runner)


Note by KC: I am quite excited also after reading your email that you have signed up for full marathon in SIM this year. Congratulation! If we don't act now, when are we going to do one? Nothing is impossible, if only one has the focused mind, the commitment and the perseverance in arriving at the goal. BRAVO to you!! I believe in you and you will cross the marathon finishing line at SIM on 2 December 2007.

You need to run a marathon in order to understand what it is like to subject your body and mind for hours of gruesome condition. Listerning and experiencing a marathon is different – it is like describing colour to a blind person.

After you have completed your full marathon, you will command respect from your friends or colleagues. When the phone in your office rings, with a triumphant and firm voice, you can then say: "This is MARATHONER so-and-so speaking; how can I help you?" The word "can" is used and not "may" to emphasize the “keng chow” (noble) feeling.
.

2 comments:

Yu Jin said...

Many times, the big difference lies in the level of commitment. As long as one has not crossed the line to the fully committed side, there will always be hesitation and concern. Congratulations my friend, you have started the ball rolling and hopped over to the committed side. All the best!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the encouraging words!! I will post my updates periodically on my struggles and victories, however big or small and hope that it will be an encouragement to many.

From MMR