Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fears and Jitters

Written by MMR

The e-bulletin/webpage from the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon ("SIM") subtly has a countdown column on the right hand side corner and it reads “22 days x hours x mins x secs” to the Singapore marathon…… 22 more days! Yikes…

Nothing like a countdown to jolt one’s senses up on a cool Saturday afternoon. Earlier on, I was debating with myself whether or not to go for the long today or tomorrow since I was a little tired from an outstation trip for the past 2 days; also it looked like rain soon.
.

Upon reading the countdown, my heart suddenly leapt and began to thump very very fast and I could feel my adrenalin was pumping. In fact the countdown “warning” worked so well that I immediately wanted to abandon everything I was doing and lace up my running shoes and run straight out into my long run – and that was all at 12 noon!

Ok – debate over, I have to run my long run on Saturday afternoon, come rain or shine. At 4pm, I eagerly dashed out of the door and into the gardens. The looming dark clouds only made my heart beat faster as I really wanted to run and prayed that the rains would be held back by an invisible shield. I started to run really quickly as if my mind and body wanted to “out-run” the impending rain.


The rains did arrive but thankfully only after 2 hours from the time I started and it rained mildly and I was thankful for my cap which has seen me through the strongest sun’s rays and the heaviest of rains. After 2.5 hours, I decided to call it a day as the rain got heavier and this was not a time to get sick from the rain. I was also a little exhausted not from the run but from all the rushing around from my out-of-town trip.

What matters now is not the training but the big day on Sunday 2 December 2007 - SIM. Even though my heart was beating really fast after reading the e-bulletin, my mind was still thinking sensibly. I guess that is how a marathoner should be, eager and excited but not abandon all good sense; the important thing is to start the race and then finish the race well.

Will schedule another final long run.

See you at the starting line.

Written by MMR (Maiden Marathon Runner)

Posted by KC

No comments: