Sunday, November 04, 2007

PC is Online Again

After almost a week of absence, my home PC is finally repaired – up and running. I am not sure whether it is the quality issue of the PC or the way I use my PC. After using for three years as a casual user, the mother-board is faulty and the only solution is to change the entire mother-board.

The other headache is to restore the software running in my PC. I was there at the PC repair shop and I actually spent almost four hours there witnessing the installation of various software.

Let me share with you how Microsoft controls the license for the operating system. After Microsoft XP software is installed into my PC from the OEM (original equipment) CD-ROMs, a 16-digit genuine key is input. It was obtained from the sticker at the side of my PC. Another 16-digit key is generated by the system. The repairer than telephoned Microsoft and in return, another 16-digit activation key is given and input into the PC. This activation key is then transmitted to Microsoft server. Once the hand-shaking validation process is in order, the server would then download 86 program patches or upgrades!

Written by KC

No comments: