Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Singapore Marathon - MMR - Part 2

Credit goes to Hon You (the photographer) and Jason Lee (for the photographic equipment). BRAVO!
.
Nikon D70s Album 2 of 2 - Plick here here to view 147 photos.

Nikon D80 Album 1 of 6 - Please click here to view 191 photos.

Written by MMR – from runner to MARATHONER!

Every marathoner has a story to tell and every story is unique and wonderful to the individual … and this is my little individual story…..
Sea of runners participating in Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SIM) 2007

It all started with trembling hands and fingers 5 months ago in July 2007 when I clicked the category for “full marathon” in the Singapore Marathon website … “Just do it lah!” I thought to myself, I had deliberated on this decision for a few months prior to July and after reading and talking to many runners, decided to take the plunge and just do it!

I then downloaded a running program from Runnersworld.com that catered to the individual – it tailors to the runner’s current mileage and time goals and also to the intensity of the work out.

Yeah! Looking Good

Several months of disciplined training and always following the rule of thumb to never increase more than 10% each week and to cut down every 4th week and simply to just listening to one’s body and its reaction to all the added stress of training (rest and relax and cut down whenever necessary), I was READY for my maiden marathon!!

KC my good friend had during my training period, religiously updated his blog with my trials and tribulations under the pseudonym of “MMR – Maiden Marathon Runner”. Writing about my training really helped me as I recorded what worked and did not work for me. It was also my hope that keeping a log would encourage other runners too.

Sure, doubts continued to play in my mind all through the training right up to the week before the marathon and even on the night before the marathon. The mind was simply saying “Are you really up to punishing yourself???” Thankfully, I had brought some of my favorite reading materials on running to calm myself down and I mentally rehearsed what to do in the morning and during the run and most importantly, problem solving whilst in the race.

At the start, I prayed for a safe race and BANG! We were off to loud music and my heart went BOOM! Remembering all the good advice from friends and materials, I intentionally slowed down at the beginning for the first 10km. When I saw all the male runners disappear into the bushes and behind the trees for the much needed “relief”, I wanted to jump off the beaten track and join them too but was a little too embarrassed to do so!!

Toh SL - going on strong and in cheerful mood
.
Meeting friends along the way and seeing the elite athletes when they did their U – turns were the highlights of my run.

To assist my race strategy, I had written on my palm the estimated time period (based on my previous races) for the 10km, 16km, 21km, 32km and 42 km marks. I was 2 mins off schedule in the 10km and 16km marks but on time at the 21km mark. I was again off by 3 mins at the 32km mark but was not worried at all. I had decided earlier on to simply run my best, finish good and strong and enjoy the race, a decent timing would be a bonus!


At 36 km, I was beginning to tire and it was getting really hot and the nice scenery gave way to road works and really boring high rise buildings. All I really wanted to do at this point was to drink a lot of water and just roll over and sleep!! A fellow pacesetter ran past me and signaled me to push on and this was great encouragement.

I remembered to “call up” all my reserves to complete the race. Suddenly I heard rapturous sounds and claps and cheers and I realized I was near the end! My la-la team (cheerleading team) comprising of my dear friends and better half (all 6 of whom had earlier on successfully finished their half marathons and waited/returned to cheer me at the finish line) were at the 150 metres mark as planned and they were all screaming and cheering for me! A warm feeling of happiness and euphoria swept through me and I ran straight to the finish line!


4 energy gels, 2 mini sneakers (chocolate) bars, a race strategy that comprised of running and walking (as advocated by Olympian Jeff Galloway), 2 black toes, 5 shades darker from the hot sun, 4 hours 54 mins 59 secs later and I HAVE FINISHED MY MAIDEN MARATHON!!!!! Wow! The feeling is unbelievable as all marathoners know!! You are dead tired, about to collapse and sleep and smell like a tank of fishes but still you have the strength to smile and beam proudly and bend down eventhough your legs are stiff with lactic acid to unlace your shoes and remove the championship chip!!!

Eng CM, Josie, Yeoh AyChwen - proudly showing their well-deserved marathon medals

I attribute my successful completion of my maiden marathon to being consistent, following a good plan whilst being reasonable and able to adjust my running plan whenever needed to avoid injuries and burn out, eating right, planning right for the race and thinking positively and most importantly the encouragement of my fellow runners. I look forward to my next marathon next year!!!!!

Warmest wishes from MMR

Note by KC: Congratulation to MMR – the Maiden Marathon Runner! You have transformed to a full-fledged marathon now. So, instead of the letter “M” that stands for Maiden, the M is now stands for Majestic that you did it impresively in sub-5 hours.

Keep it up! It is the beginning of all other marathon races. Well Done!



There will be special posting for the macho guys. This macho guy with moustache, beard, and dressed in headscarf does look familiar. Can you recognize him... please click here.

4 comments:

Keipo said...

haha...i kasi chance to snap my pic mah.forgot to take out my cap from bag lah..so..hv to use this mt k climbathon headscarf lah..but nice to use too..help me to block hot hot sun leh,if not..may be I will run faster..less pics..hehe...tks bro to take my foto !!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tey! You are looking cool! I ran past you and you were as usual cheerful and holding your camera and looking out for friends to snap their photos. Glad you had fun!
Warm wishes from MMR

yipwt said...

congrats mmr on your first marathon. In fact, your timing is better than mine.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yip! Well done too in completing your marathon! Good timing is a bonus! I hope you had a wonderful run too!

Warm wishes from MMR