Thursday, December 06, 2007

Singapore Marathon - Part 4

Nikon D80 Album 4 of 6... Please click here to view 174 photos by courtesy of Hon You and Jason Lee.
Nikon D80 Album 5 of 6... please click here to view 175 photos.
I shall stop and resume posting on Sunday evening. The followings are still outstanding:

1. Chan Wing Kai's photo album
2. Weng's photo album (who ran his marathon with a camera)
3. Interesting shots
4. Album 6.

My First Marathon

Written by Josie

“Should I eat it or give it away?” I asked myself after getting a banana at the 30km mark. Yeah, I am the lady runner KC mentioned with the banana…….:-) [Scroll down the web pages to locate the funny story in Part 1 of Singapore Marathon] or click here.

I started my run very slowly and cautiously as I didn’t know whether I could last the distance beyond 24km. Why 24km? That’s right. 24km was the furthest distance I’ve ever done in my so-called training for this marathon and also the furthest that I have ever run. I felt a great sense of jubilation as I passed by 20km, 24km, 26km then 30km mark. It was just too good to be true as I still feel comfortable and enjoying the run looking at the scenery, people in the park and all the cheerleaders’ teams.
(L-R) Mike, Jason Lee, Jason Chin, ChinYH, Steven, Boon Lian, Josie, Chee Sum, Angie Ng.
After consuming three packets of power gel and one power bar, the banana that I received at the 30km mark did not look appealing to me. Nevertheless, I took it just the same from the volunteer just in case I need extra energy. You can call it “kiasu’’ attitude…haha.
Ay Chwen, Yee Hua, Yen Er, Angie Ng, Josie, Chee Sum

Holding the banana took my mind of the scorching heat from the sun for a while. I even passed by a sweet little girl accompanied by her father, holding out two little cute bananas (pisang emas) for runners who passed by. As I was getting impatient running and holding the banana for a few km, I suddenly realized how absent-minded I was because I was wearing a Pacesetter pouch, now emptied of any contents. It was a relief as I chuck the banana in the pouch thinking how silly I would have looked if I were to hold the banana all the way to the finishing line in my debut marathon! I suppose that’s what running under the hot blazing sun could do to a runner – the inability to think straight.At Orchard Road on the eve of marathon
Tiredness began to take over after 34km. The intense heat from the sun made matter worst. Even male runners could be seen rubbing sun block lotion on their shoulders to avoid getting sun burn. I kept telling myself that as long as I kept on going, the finishing line will soon be in sight.
Pretty girls and new car

Words cannot describe the feeling when I approached the 150m mark from the finishing line. A feeling of total exhilaration came over me and I dashed all the way to the finishing line. I’ve done it!

(L-R) Jason Lee, YH Chin, Mike, Jason Chin, Raymond, Weng, Chee Sum
(Front) Steven P5, May Sun, Josie, EngCM, Boon Lian, Ay Chwen, Angie Ng.

The 15 of them went in a group
As I sat down to rest after taking my finisher medal and T-shirt, I was overcome with emotions. Tears blurred my vision for a few seconds. It was hard to believe that I’ve managed to survive my first full marathon attempt without any cramps, knee pain or black toes like I did during my trainings and half marathon runs. And I did it in 5 hr 47m 42s.

Written by Josie
Note by KC: Well done, Josie! Congratulation to you for completing your maiden marathon. As they say, if you have the courage to complete a marathon, you will have the determination to take on challenges in life.

No comments: