Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sunglasses

Note: This report was written by MMR while she trained for her maiden marathon in Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon last year. It is something like Star Wars Trilogy – we go back in time.

I am feeling excited every time I think about the marathon. While embarking on the journey, I keep thinking and visualizing the moment I will be crossing the finishing line. I am also a little nervous and in awe of the journey ahead but I am excited and anxious to go through it.

I bought a pair of sunglasses for RM 290 which is considered darn cheap! Mine are not those with reflections, just quite simple dark glasses. The average price I checked is around RM400 to RM500 and for Oakley specs (those that look like Keanu Reeves in Matrix) is around RM800 plus.
I put it on top of my cap in the mornings before the sun comes up, thought I better get used to it. Then around 9 am when the sun is glaring, I put it on. It is pretty good, does not rock around when I am running and stays on my face.

The sunglasses actually improve my eyesight because I think it filters out some rays so I can see things a little clearer and also if people are looking at me or not since they cannot see my eyes! So far only old, old uncles are impressed! The garden here attracts a lot of uncles and aunties in the mornings, the young ones are still asleep.

Note by KC: Yes! These sunglasses are expansive. Never mind, what is important is to look “yow yeng” (looking good). I can imagine a runner in sunglasses will sure be looking real cool. The original sunglasses will ward off the hot sunrays; as such, you will look and feel cool. Make sure that when you run in the evening, don't put it on. Otherwise, you may think that the sun sets much earlier.

Let me share with you a similar joke: a few years ago, I participated in the Powerman race in Putrajaya.... run 10km, cycle 60km, run 10km. When it comes to the biking segment, I put on the helmet and a pair of sunglasses of light tint. Later on, I totally forgot about the sunglasses as I was focusing on the helmet that caused a bit of discomfort to my head. It could either that the helmet was small or my head was big. While thick in action cycling under the hot sun, I looked at my arms; and at that moment, I said: Wah! Both my arms were so dark already.

Written by MMR

No comments: