Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Casio Pro Trek Adventure Watch

Note by KC: Yes! PK Chan is a proud owner of this outdoor, adventure and rugged watch. The next trekking will not be the same: instead of discussing of leeches bite, we could be talking about peak elevation, atmospheric pressure, navigation and direction. That would increase the fun of trekking.

We can even wear it to office to impress our colleagues that the extrame coldness of the clinically regulated and controlled temperature in the office (air-cond lah) is, say, 18 degree Celsius. And Level 7 is, say, 50 meters above sea level. Or with the drop in barometric pressure, it will rain soon so that lunch is held in a restaurant with covered car park without getting wet later. I am sure that would impress the lunch kaki. You can even correct a colleague's lost of direction in the office with the help of the compass function in the watch.

One lady trekker, Jenny Lee, said: "I also fall in love with the watch ..." and suggests that we could buy in bulk for greater bargaining power. Yes, excellent idea! So if you are interested, please contact me at pacm.webmaster xxxxx gmail.com (replace xxxxx with @). kWENG said he knows one owner of a watch shop.
.

I remembered in the previous trekking trip to Pine Tree Trail (Fraser's Hill), AB Tan was telling us that the trail is interesting. Despite all the toughness in going up and down the hills, the vertical elevation is only 300 meters! click here to read.

The watch bought by PK is with tripple sensors (Direction, Pressure and Temperature). Maybe the Malaysia Boleh version is with the fourth sensor: to detect the lurking of leeches which is terrorizing many of the lady trekkers. Maybe we can even give a new name to the new watch - MASIO... just joking.

Okay, when I buy the watch, I know the lower limit of pricing to bargain, provided the shops in Kuala Lumpur are willing to sell at that price. Read on …



Casio Pro Trek PRG-110
x

Hi KC,

Quite coincidentally, I read your email one day earlier before taking part in the Singapore North Face 100 off road run. Each team of two has to run 50 km each at the catchments area. I was there with some Pacesetter members.

We went to Sin Lim Square which is a shopping complex selling mainly IT products. I bought the Protrek PRG 110-IV, which has a black plastics strip, for S$260 (RM 626 basing on 2.42 rate). The titanium strap/band is available at S$330 (if I could recall).

I didn't go for the Titanium type as I worry about possible chaffing but it's of light weight. Hence, if you are talking about the same model, the Singapore price appears cheaper. Further more, if you travel by plane, I was informed a further 7 % rebate of the GST when exiting Singapore.

I enclose two photos taken of my new toy. You are correct in quoting the features of the Triple Sensor Sport watch by CASIO. As compared with the older model, model 110 watch is thinner and appears slimmer. Twin Sensor is cheaper but without compass.

You are correct - the watch is pretty 'yow yeng' (got style) :-)

I have so far found that the triple sensor watch powered by 'Tough Solar' i.e. no battery replacement, is quite precise in measuring altitude, barometric pressure (with graph indicating weather trend), temperature and direction (from digital compass). Of course, all the normal time keeping features with world time are there.

When I went for our double hill run this morning (Sunday 12 October), I found the highest point at the first hill was only 140 m (above sea level) whilst it measured 220 m at the 4-leg junction of the Bukit Kiara Jogging trail. Calibration may be necessary if there is a reference point. It certainly adds on much fun when going trekking.

So I thought it's quite a good buy for a RM 625 (Ringgit equivalent) watch.

Cheers,
PK



My earlier email:

Dear Fellow Trekkers,

I am interested to buy one outdoor adventure watch; it is good for serious trekking. Anyone of you has any "jalan" (connection) to shops selling watches; do let me know… :-)

Casio Pro Trek ... click here

PRG-110 (B, AB, T)Features: digital compass, altimeter (measuring altitude), Barometer (to detect change in bad weather or impending rain), Thermometer, world time, countdown timer, daily alarms, and not forgetting the normal timekeeping.

Model 130, has the additional tide mode (for tracking of tidal movement) but has a thicker case (13.9mm). Model 110 is slimmer measuring at 11.5mm.

I have asked in Mines Shopping complex: Model 110 ranges from RM 900 to RM 980 (light-weight titanium band).

Suunto X10 (that has GPS system)

Read and view the demonstration...
click here

Dr. Hamdan and ChongYF informed me that this Sunnto watch costs around RM 1,500

Happy Trekking

Posted by KC
x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi PK

Could you please tell me which shop in Sim Lim Square you bought from? And what was the quoted price you bargained down from? You got a good deal, S$260 is really cheap for the PRG110!