Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fraser's Hill

Trekking in Fraser's Hill
Written and Photos by Jayne Aw

.

As I stumbled into this forest, I wasn’t sure if it was a dream or had I been transported into the mystical land of Narnia. No, there was no snow here as the Pevensie children Edmund, Lucy, Peter and Susan had joined the mighty lion Aslan to free Narnia from the spell of the evil White Witch who had reigned the land of Narnia under winter for 100 years.

The forest was densely wooded and engulfed in mist. It was a refreshing walk as one was welcomed by the fresh air and kissed by the cool breeze.
.
The trail started off with steep steps going downhill which made it a relatively easy trek at the beginning. Yes, it only just began ... The occasional heavy down pours had uprooted some of the aged trees that form natural barriers which made the trail more challenging..
.
The trail is covered with thick foliages and carpeted with moss.
With almost two and half hours trekking uphill and downhill, we reached a small clearing on top of a slope where one could have a good view of the distant rolling hills..
After 30 minutes of rest and refueling the body with food and water, it was time to head back to the starting point. As I stood up, I felt an excruciating pain on my two thighs and my legs wouldn’t move. I was rather worried that I might not be able to make my way back. At that moment I was hoping I could find the way to the magic wardrobe which could lead me home instantly, as the Pevensie children had experienced in Narnia. Well, a dream remained a dream for I was not that fortunate. The journey back to the starting point took another 2 ½ hours with a torturous uphill climb at the last stretch where I had to literally drag my feet over each step. Finally and painfully, I made it back to where I had begun.
.
.Sunset in Fraser’s Hill
.


Sunset in Fraser’s Hill is spectacular. As the setting sun disappearing into the sea of clouds, the drama unfolded on the Nature’s stage, of the battle in Narnia between the mighty lion Aslan and the evil White Witch..
.
Aslan flung himself upon the White Witch and they rolled over together but with the White Witch underneath. While the battle and the chase were going on, the stage light changed from yellow to flaming iridescent gold at the backdrop.The battle was all over in a few minutes and the White Witch was dead. And Narnia was freed from the winter spell of the White Witch. As darkness set in, the stage light gradually dimmed off and peace and tranquility reigned over the distant mountains ...
.
“Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance toward the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point. Climb slowly, steadily, enjoying each passing moment; and the view from the summit will serve as a fitting climax for the journey.” -- Harold B. Melchart.
.Click here for other postings on trekking in Fraser's Hill (scroll down the pages)
.
by Jayne Aw
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! Glad you had a great time.

Warm regards,
Running Wombat

Roger said...

Captivating pictures. Brilliant.