Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sundown Marathon - Part 3

Written by Jennifer

Click here to read Part 2, here for Part 1 of the training for Sundown Marathon by Jennifer ...
.
adidas Sundown Marathon 2009 in Singapore - click here for official website
.
9th April 2009 - Tempo Run

I do not look forward to tempo runs so much coz it is harder albeit shorter. I am already tired from work and it is hot hot hot….. and to shock the body into running faster was tough. So I took my time in warming up about 3 km first. Then I attempted to start my tempo run. My route starts with a little elevation (and I hate hills, any form of hills even if the gradient is 3 %!) so physically and mentally this is not easy.

Nowadays whenever I see any form of hills I think of this joke by another fellow runner “A” which is like this:-

A notes that “B” (a younger runner) is quite fast. I commented B is quite fast (and young around 20 + years old). Then A who must have the last say said that B is a little overweights (by 2 - 3 kilos) so A asked me to note that when B ascends the hills the heavier weight (in the backside I suppose) makes B run slower.

Ever since that "joke" – every time when I ascend the hills and I slow down, I think of my bigger bottom and how it is "holding me back". So I do admire runners (male or female) who absolutely have not hips or bottoms – just makes running so much “lighter”.

Anyway - after warm up - I did my initial 4 km of tempo run - man! It was hard - the hips could not move; then is took a breather of 30 - 40 seconds (had a sip of drink and stretched my legs more) and continued for another 4 km. The second 4km was naturally easier since the body was already "shocked" into moving and I ran faster and faster. Boy that felt good.... when I ended I warmed down a bit and at night I collapsed into bed.

I had read that runners must remember to so abs training for a stronger core – especially for “slower” runners like me who have to run over 4 hours to reach the finish line (of full marathon) so nowadays whenever I can remember I will do some core/abs exercises.


18th April 2009 - Long Run

It was a very good run on Saturday morning - ran at 6am and somehow 26 km seems so “do-able” after having completed a 32km (recently) so the mind and body was very happy to respond to this cut in mileage. As usual part of the running route was dark as the lights were either not switched on or “rosak” but my usual gang of runners are very “resilient” all bringing their own LED torchlights. Running can be dangerous and bringing own torch lights + wearing reflective clothes and shoes is almost a necessity as cars simply do not care for runners. (Maybe they think we are bonkers or something for running so early in the morning….).
.

I am really enjoying these early morning runs now as the weather is conducive and whilst running, you can see the outline of the hilltops, silhouette of the trees on the hills and the flickering lights of the stars. Time, however is relentless as it ticks away and the rays of the sun soon flickered its strong rays promisingly. The promise of day break is as sure as death and taxes. I dare not imagine the “havoc” to our daily lives and routines if the sun did not shine at its predicted time.

I am tired this morning and as a result, could not recognize some other fellow runners or “rabbits/bunnies” en route as I just focused on finishing the run. I am also very thirsty and keep seeing mirages of soya drinks and other types of isotonic drinks in the horizon…. time to stop and take stock and have a drink.

Note by KC: Ahh... Jennifer, I see that you are doing fine in your training. You have completed two long runs (32km and 26km) in preparation for your marathon. Well, as to funny story of Runner A and B, when come to going downhill, Runner B would be surging forward as the bigger bottom, with the gravitational pull, would have the advantage…. just joking.
.

Note: photos are extracted from Internet (and not Jennifer).

Posted by KC
.

No comments: