Monday, May 11, 2009

Sundown Marathon - Part 4

Written by Jennifer

Click here to read Part 1, 2 and 3 of Jennifer's training for Sundown Marathon.

adidas Sundown Marathon 2009 in Singapore - click here for official website
.


21st April 2009 – Easy Run


Tuesday's easy run was exactly what it is - EASY... initially I felt my quads a little tight and thought I wanted to stop and just take a relaxing stroll; however, after some encouragement from a fellow runner, I stuck on running slowly and relaxed and remembered that the easy run is supposed to be easy at a relaxed pace. I decided to enjoy the run at a slow easy relaxed pace and finished 8.5km with energy to run further more. This is a good feeling.

Oh! I also tried on my running apparels which I have selected for the BIG day (ie the marathon) – we have to look good even though we are feel like we are to “expire” after a marathon right? I also did not want unwanted chaffing. Good thing I tried the new top on as I found that it was not too comfortable, oldies are goodies, I have decided to wear my old but comfy running top for the BIG day.


1st May 2009 Long Run

1st of May is Labour day and I (and my gang of runners) certainly had to work hard this morning training our final long run before our race at the end of this month. It is another daunting 32km long run. I read that running is something where “you get what you put in” – pure and simple - with this phrase in mind, we set off on our run.

Again the plan was to start early to avoid the inevitable heat and it was 5:45 am when we set off. The roads were as usual dark in some patches but this time, we were ready with our LED torch lights that gave us some safety comfort. I saw some drivers along the way who obviously were going back to sleep after a long night.

In a way, the gang of runners knew that this was going to be a final long run before the BIG day (ie marathon day) so everyone sort of settled into this run without much complaints. Conversations (whenever we could) on the BIG day was now rampant as excitement was also slowly building up towards race day and some spoke of beyond race day which was very positive talk as sometimes there is too much focus on that ONE day and things can go wrong on that ONE day such as old injuries, stomach flu, stress from work etc.

The resolve was strong to finish this final long run well and it reflected in the spirit of every runner. After about 3 ½ hours, the run was over and now it was time to drink up, rest and share some laughs and stories of “pain” experienced along the way.

3rd May 2009 Easy Run

“Kaput!!” is the one word (I believe it is German for “broken/out of order/not working”) that summed up how we felt for this supposedly easy run because it was DIFFICULT and certainly not easy. Our legs and bodies were still crying out for rest after the long run just two days ago. It was not just the one long run that made us feel this way, but rather the accumulation of runs in the past 3 or so months.

8km may be short compared to 32km but it is loooong when one is tired. So everyone took it easy, some ran and walked a little. Some walked first and ran later. It did not matter how everyone finished, what mattered is that they did. OK, now I know that rest is sorely needed for us so thankfully, from now onwards till the RACE, it is tapering time.


Note by KC: Looks like Jennifer and your group of runners are ready for the Sundown Marathon which is going to be held this month-end – 31 May 2009. With all the trainings and the much effort put in, I am sure you would achieve a PB. BRAVO!!





Posted by KC

No comments: