Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sundown Marathon - Part 5

Written by Jennifer

Click here to read Part 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Jennifer's training for Sundown Marathon (scroll down the pages).

adidas Sundown Marathon 2009 in Singapore - click here for official website
.
20th May 2009 – tempo run/tapering down

Last evening I managed - despite being quite tired to squeeze in a 10km run (supposed to be 12km but 10km was quite enough for me). It was a nice run but it was not the completely in the "zone" type of run – you know the feeling when the run is completely effortless and one is running so freely and hardly breaking a sweat! All the limbs and the body seem to be working seamlessly - Wow! That is a nice feeling.

When we are tired, our movements are awkward and every stride seems to take so much effort... the heat which is like a furnace also does not help, including the humidity – one is sweating before one is running – in fact, it is the "wind created" whilst running that seems to cool me down.
.


Still, it is now tapering time; the “work” has been done over the last few months. I just got to keep up my scheduled runs, keep myself injury free and germ free. A “fantastic” thought just came to me – I wish I only worked three days a week so that I can have more time and energy to run or cycle or participate in some sport the rest of the week – what wishful thinking!


This will be my final journaling for this marathon. I have learned from my journaling how well my body responds and adapts to the increased training schedule, when to lay off and when to persevere. Unless there is a holiday during the work week, there is only so much my poor human legs can take. I have also learned that I can actually wake up in the wee hours of the morning and “shock” my body into movement and making “dates” with other runners make this process more possible. All along the way, I have met other runners who have livened up and encouraged me in my training schedule.
.

Go! Go! Go! Jennifer!

The usual fears and concern before a marathon surrounds me and I am beginning to have “fake” injuries, pain where it does not usually hurt. I guess the mind is trying to protect the body from further “injuries” i.e. the pain and suffering each runner will have to endure no matter the level of fitness or category of runner – ask an elite if he/she “suffers” during a race and I am pretty sure the answer is “yes”. Just that perhaps the elite or professional runner sees it as a “job” and a passion and works hard to get it done as it is after all their profession!

For us mere mortals, it has to be the passion or a noble charitable cause or something that makes the runner tick that drives us all to push our body’s limits – whatever our reasons, my thoughts are that the marathon is such a journey that only passion fuels each runner to the end line. Good luck and run well, my fellow runners and see you all at the finish line of Sundown Marathon!

Happily crossing the finishing line... Yes, more marathons to go!

Note by KC: BRAVO!! Jennifer! Congratulation to you for dutifully completed the necessary trainings with the 30km long runs. Chance favours the prepared (body and) mind! Hope you have chance to achieve your targeted personal best in this great event – Sundown Marathon in Singapore. Enjoy your run and have a pleasant holiday.
.
Note: photos are extracted from internet.
..

No comments: