Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Mt Kinabalu Climbathon 2010 (3)

My First Mt KK Climbathon
.
Do click here for all postings of Mount Kinabalu Climbathon 2010 and photos too.
.
Immediately after the starting gun is fired at 7:00 a.m. sharp, a few hundreds of the excited participants were running up the hill for about 1km to Timpohon Gate, the main entrance to the Summit Trail.

The starting point is situated at about 1,800 meters above sea level. Despite the cool and crisp mountain air, everyone was seen focus in their runs huffing and puffing away. The 1km uphill run was necessary so that the participants are not overly crowding the narrow trails at the same time.

At the starting point of Mt Kinabalu Climbathon 2010
.
At 5:00 a.m. on Saturday 23 October 2010, we gathered at the pre-determined pick-up point of the hotel waiting for the van transport provided by the organizer. It took about 5 minutes to arrive at the entrance of Kinabalu National Park; stopped at the finishing line area and changed to another van to take us another 4km uphill ride to the starting point of the event. It was a long, long journey starting from our houses the day before until we finally arrived at the starting point.

Between 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. was a moment of waiting. It was fairly cold at that elevation and as such, most participants were seen donning extra layer of jackets before the start of the event.

Once we started the run, though the mountain air was cool, we still sweat a lot wetting the dry fit T-shirt and pants. At certain point below Laban Rata of the climbathon journey, I met up with Patricia Yap who was from our group. She was seen weaving a very stylo natural African braiding hairstyles. Both of us were breathing heavily and quite loudly grasping for the necessary oxygen. So I quipped that we are like twin-cam engine with full throttle opened but the power was not forthcoming due to not well tuned.



Patricia Yap - in African braiding hairstyles
.
Nevertheless, compared to road running events, I was quite pleased even with the heavy breathing in the tranquil environment knowing very well that the air is fresh and there is no pollution devoid from the exhaust of vehicles.

Just before arriving at Laban Rata, I met up with Gary Chin, an Ultramarathon runner. He said that running in the 84km Ultramarathon is also not that tough compared to this Mount Kinabalu climbathon. SC Yong, PK Chan, Sharon Tan were seen arriving at Laban Rata almost at the same time. We then took a few group photos before proceeding with the ascending journey.

Well done - Sharon Tan
.
My timing: I managed to arrive at Laban Rata rest house at 2 hr 50 minutes. I was told that in order to arrive at the peak within the 3.5 hours of qualifying time, one has to arrive at Laban Rata within 2 hours. I was down with flu just three days preceding the race day; as such, I decided not to push too hard. In the next 40 minutes, I was running towards the next landmark, Sayat Sayat gateway. Anyway, before I could arrive there, we were asked to go down the hill by the marshals.

Water Stations – you do not see the usual water stations as in Kuala Lumpur. Instead, bottles of drinking water were thrown on the trail by the faster runners after sipping a mouthful or two. So I pickup up bottles of water and drank (without contact with my mouth), closed the cap and placed them back on the trail. It was Okay to me. Understandably, the organizer required a lot of effort in bringing the water up the mountain. I was not too overly concern as I was running with a 2-litre hydration backpack complete with energy bars and disposable raincoat (in case it rains).
.
Runners running to Low's Peak after passing by Sayat Sayat gateway (photo courtesy of ChongYF)
.
Exchange of Emals Among Members:

JT: I took 3-20hr to reach Raban Rata. With such slow speed, I need to stop more than 30 times to catch my breath. What a lousy participant.

Mak: I disagree with you about the "lousy participant". In my opinion, whoever dares to take up the Mt KK Climbathon challenge is a winner already. I definitely enjoyed the whole trip up the mountain; but not when I was coming down and most of the time is alone ... so lonely ... somewhat like a never ending journey. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the next climbathon.

KC: Yes, true. Anyone of us who stand at the starting line of this Mount KK Climbathon is already somebody (in the runner’s world). Many years ago, I dare not even think of it to take part in this Mt KK climbathon. In any endeavour, if we don’t succeed the first time, improve on it and keep trying; sure we will make it. Besides, winning doesn't always mean being first; winning means you are doing better than you have done before.
.
Descending the mountain in swift movement constantly staying focus of each landing step
.
I have done many outstation road running races; this one, I really enjoy it very much.

Coming down the mountain alone – the solution is to find your running buddies of similar pace during training. With a running buddy, then you will never be alone. Besides, he/she is also your pacer motivating one another to excel.

ChooTS: Thanks to TonyQ and KC for organising and coordinating this memorable Mount KK Climbathon challenge; and thanks to all photographers who have posted the photos in their respective photo albums. Congratulation to Yee Choi and Edwin Goh for reaching the peak. Even though most of us do not reach the peak but I believe this is a very good experience to all of us. Let us train harder and do it again next year. See you again in the next trekking or hill runs or road running events.
.
Written by KC
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I can join you all to conquer the Mt. KK next year 2011.

ktla said...

Hey there KC, I also joined the Climbathon and was one of the lucky ones to make it to the summit in 2.5 hours - unfortunately it took 3.5 hours to get down with twisted ankles! Hope to join you for some more racing soon as I am moving to KL soon - very excited about it!

ktla said...

Hey there KC, I also joined the Climbathon and was one of the lucky ones to make it to the summit in 2.5 hours - unfortunately it took 3.5 hours to get down with twisted ankles! Hope to join you for some more racing soon as I am moving to KL soon - very excited about it!
Terry