Sunday, June 24, 2012

Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2012

By far, this is a very successful event having the most number of runners participating in Kuala Lumpur – Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2012 staged on Sunday, 24 June. The announcer informed that there were almost 28,000 participants. For Half Marathon category, there were about 5,800 runners; the majority of participants are from the 10km and 5km categories.

It has been a long time that do not take part in road running event. Most of the time, I just did my running at the trails and the maximum numbers or runners were about 30. I quipped to the runner friends (I met) that I do not see so many runners for quite some time, much like a jungle person emerging into city ... :-)

While running, I met a few pacers that I know some where at KLCC area: Alexis Phang, Sunny Ng, Yen Erl who were the pacers for the 6-hour full marathon run.
There is one runner almost of my pace, she is Karen Loh who dressed up as a butterfly. When she ran, the wings would flap and her running posture would look like she is flying ... :-) Sorry that I did not carry any camera; hence, no photos to show.

It was not easy to meet friends considering the huge crowd. While passing by a lady runner who was on the phone after the run, I heard that “how to see you, everyone wear the same running vest!” Nevertheless, I met a few runner friends: Linda Trivino, Jason Thiang, Sook Ying, Leslie Ho, Steven Oon (before the run); Tee Ee Kia, PK Chan, Yeow Chae Yin, Teoh Seng Chor, Ang Chee Kiang, Agnes Chew, Josie Yap, Wendy Liu, Monsy (after the run).

According to Ang Chee Kiang, he was very happy because after running the full marathon for the 12th time, he achieved sub-4 hour’s status. Bravo! Most of the time, his timing hovers 5 to 10 minutes after 4 hours.

My timing for the Half marathon was 2’03.50 from my new toy, the Garmin watch, which is about 5 seconds different from the official timer.


 Half marathon trail map charted by my new toy, the Garmin watch. click here.. Notice that the red line, representing my running trail, is always charted on the side of the road.


I like:

a. A well-organized event considering that there are almost 30,000 participants
b. Improved and simplified timing device – it is so simple that is attached to the bib; no more cumbersome chips that we have to tie to the running shoes
c. Abundance of drinking water and isotonic drinks; there is one water station at every 2km apart
d. Modified route (for half marathon) to take runners passing by the many renown places in Kuala Lumpur
e. Distance Marker - clearly indicating the progress of the run
f. Many tents at the padang for participants to relax and shield from the sun
g. No hassle on collecting medals
h. Abundance of mobile toilets, in multi-colour some more ... :-)

I don’t like:
a. The stretch of route along Jalan Loke Yew that is heavy with traffic. It would be good if the organizer can design the route to avoid that stretch.

Kudos to Standard Chartered Bank for organizing this event successfully and in promoting running in a very big scale manner in Kuala Lumpur. The number of participants have been increasing every year. I hope that they will continue to organize this event for another few years to come.



Total distance = 21.37km
My timing = 2’03.50


Do click here to view bigger displays of the two charts above.

Posted by KC Leong


No comments: